The Popular Roofing Choice for Commercial and Industrial Buildings in Kansas City
As a commercial building owner, your main goal is protecting your bottom line, and part of that is ensuring all of your assets — including your building — are in excellent shape. A deteriorating roof can cost you thousands of dollars in repairs and repel potential clients, tenants, customers, or investors.
Hail, snow, ice, wind, improper installation, and low-quality products can all compromise your roof. When moisture penetrates, you can end up with water-stained walls and ceilings, mold, musty odors, and puddles. You may have already tried other types of commercial roofing, such as asphalt, and found that it wasn’t as durable as you hoped.
So how can you prevent roofing failures that devalue your most important investment? The best way to guard against it is to partner with a trusted commercial roofer who can install a durable, functional TPO Roofing system on your commercial or industrial property. An experienced contractor will have the skills and tools to properly install your new roof and create a maintenance plan to address any repairs you may need down the road.
What is TPO Roofing?
TPO or Thermoplastic Polyolefin roofing (also known as “flat roofing”) is a single-ply roofing membrane and one of the fastest-growing commercial roofing systems on the market. It is made of a combination of polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber. The best way to identify a TPO Roof is by its white color and shiny, reflective appearance.
Here are the characteristics of TPO roofing:
- A “single-ply” roof system consists of a top and bottom sheet of TPO membrane with polyester reinforcing fabric in between the three layers that are attached at the factory.
- TPO Roofing consists of three layers: the thermoplastic polyolefin base layer, a polyester-reinforced fabric center, AKA “scrim,” and the thermoplastic polyolefin top layer.
- TPO Roofing is used to cover flat or low-slope roofs, which are common among commercial structures for cost-effectiveness.
TPO Roofing systems consist of the following parts:
- A rubber or water-based general purpose bonding adhesive attaches the TPO membrane to the cover board.
- Mechanical fasteners and specially coated plates are installed under the TPO membrane.
- Insulation boards, attached with metal fasteners or glued with foam adhesives, help to maintain a building’s interior temperature, regardless of the outside weather.
- The TPO membrane is a flexible, UV-resistant thermoplastic polyolefin coating.
- The roof deck is the material between the structural components and the insulation and weatherproofing layers.
Advantages of TPO Roofing
With so many choices, selecting the right roofing material for your Kansas City area commercial property can be confusing. As a business owner, you want an affordable, long-term solution that will keep your building free of moisture. Is TPO Roofing right for your business facility? Here are some of its many benefits to help you decide:
- Cost-effective – Flat roofing is an excellent value, as it is affordable and can last up to 25 years when installed and maintained properly.
- Puncture resistant – Thanks to its flexibility and durability, TPO Is three times more puncture resistant than EPDM, another popular type of commercial roofing.
- Energy-efficient – TPO Roofing is Energy Star rated due to its ability to naturally reflect the sun’s UV rays, easing the hard work of your commercial air conditioning system and saving you money on energy bills.
- Easy to install – TPO Roofing is easy to install because it is lightweight, has wider panels and fewer seams, and is easy to maneuver around roof surfaces resulting in a shorter installation time and lower labor costs.
- Weather-resistant – Flexible, lightweight material allows TPO Roofing to withstand inclement weather and the bright white surface keeps your building’s occupants cool on even the hottest days.
- Welded seams – Seams that are welded rather than glued are less prone to separation, offering superior protection against moisture infiltration. Solar panels can even be installed without compromising the integrity of your commercial roof.
How Much Does It Cost to Replace a TPO Roof?
If you are considering a TPO roof for your Kansas City area commercial facility, one of your most pressing questions is probably “how much it will cost you?”.
TPO Roofing is especially affordable due to its easy installation process, but there can still be price variations. These are some of the variables that will help determine how much you’ll pay for a new flat roof.
- Size – A roof with more square footage will be more expensive than a smaller area. The best way to get an idea of cost is to measure the perimeter of your building and multiply it by the price per square foot.
- Condition of substrate – A TPO roof installation will be more expensive if your existing substrate needs to be removed or replaced.
- Choice of insulation materials – Your choice of insulation materials for your flat roof will have a direct impact on the final cost. For example, polyiso (Polyisocyanurate) is one of the most widely used types of insulation for commercial roofing, but it is also the most expensive.
- The thickness of TPO membrane – TPO membranes come in a variety of thicknesses. Thicker membranes provide better protection for your flat roof against harsh weather and other hazards, but they are also more pricey.
- Installation technique – TPO roofs can be mechanically fastened or glued. Adhered roofs maintain a smoother surface but cost more to install.
- The number of penetrations – More skylights, chimneys, roof hatches, and other structures or openings on your roof will result in a more expensive installation process.
- Access to the roof – If your commercial building’s roof is especially difficult to access, your contractor will need specialized equipment.
- Type of warranty – Longer, more comprehensive warranties will add to the cost of your new TPO roof, but they will also contribute to your peace of mind.
How Long Does a TPO Roof Last?
One of the most appealing characteristics of TPO roofing is its durability. If properly maintained, you can expect a flat roof to last 22 to 25 years for your Kansas City business. The smooth surface helps minimize premature aging caused by dirt and debris accumulation. A comprehensive maintenance plan from an experienced contractor will help protect your investment so that your roof lasts for decades. Factors that affect the longevity of your TPO roof include:
- Excessive heat loads – Very high temperatures can cause seams to pull apart or peel, contributing to premature deterioration.
- Quality variations – Choosing a high-quality TPO roofing manufacturer like GAF will mean a longer life for your new roof.
How Is a TPO Roof Installed?
One of the advantages of TPO roofs is the fast, easy, innovative installation process. To install a TPO roof, the contractor will clean or remove the existing roofing, add insulation, apply an adhesive or install mechanical fasteners, add the membrane, and heat the seams to weld them together. How long the process takes depends on several factors:
- Roof size – The larger the surface area, the longer the installation process will take
- The complexity of the roof – A more complex roof, such as one that has a more elaborate shape, will contribute to the total installation time.
- The number of penetrations – More roof penetrations, such as vents, pipes, satellite dishes, skylights, and chimneys, will necessitate a lengthier installation process.
- Inclement weather – Extreme weather can cause your contractor’s crew to pause the project, causing an extended installation period.
How Do You Maintain a TPO Roof?
Though TPO roofs are very long-lasting, they will age prematurely if you don’t practice due diligence with general upkeep and maintenance. Minor problems can become much more complicated (and expensive) if they aren’t addressed properly. Harsh weather, structural movement, mold and algae growth, and reactive maintenance can all cause your flat roof to wear out.
Here are some tips for maintenance and upkeep of your TPO roofing system:
- Address small holes and cracks as soon as you notice them.
- A roof maintenance program with annual or biannual inspections is the best way to ensure your TPO roof achieves its maximum lifespan.
- Christian Brothers’ comprehensive, certified maintenance program provides Kansas City businesses with worry-free upkeep of your flat roof for its entire lifetime. It includes annual inspections, communication and maintenance records, certified repair service, and an extended warranty.
What to Look for in a Kansas City TPO Roofing Company
Before committing to a contract with a TPO roofing company, research their qualifications. TPO roof installation requires specialized skills and materials. In addition, a high-quality initial installation will prevent unsightly and expensive deterioration. These are the qualifications you should expect in an expert commercial roofing company:
- Licensed roofing contractors have gone through specialized training, bonding guarantees the job will be completed no matter what circumstances arise, and insurance will prevent you from being liable for any worker injuries that occur on your property.
- Select a contractor with extensive experience installing TPO roofs in the greater Kansas City area.
- Choose a contractor who has expertise in managing staged roofing projects that require parallel tear-off and installation.
- A roofing company that has familiarity with insurance claims can provide you with advice as to whether a claim is warranted, meet with insurance adjusters on-site, and help you fill out and file paperwork.
- A contractor that is a brand specialist has undergone rigorous manufacturer-specific training. Christian Brothers is an exclusive GAF MasterSelect commercial roofer. GAF commercial TPO roofing is strong, long-lasting, energy-efficient, weather-resistant, and low maintenance. We also provide TPO roofing from:
Why Choose Christian Brothers Roofing?
Christian Brothers, Kansas City’s premier roofing company, has helped thousands of business owners protect their commercial structures with durable roofing systems. We’ve worked to attain some of the highest certifications in the industry so we can fulfill our commitment of providing you with a long-lasting roof so you’ll have peace of mind that your commercial property is protected. We invite you to learn more about our commercial roofing services!
You can expect us to listen closely to your concerns and complete a timely, reliable installation. We know you’ll be thrilled with the results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.