All You Need to Know about Roof Replacement for Your Home, Business, or Church
Roof Replacement for Your Home or Business
It’s easy to overlook a roof when it’s high above your head, but it’s a vital element of your Kansas City home or business.
A roof protects the rest of a building from damage and contributes to its overall aesthetic. When you have a reliable roof, you can feel confident in the structure’s stability and appearance.
If you’re seeing signs of roof damage due to old age or an amateur installation, it’s time for a roof replacement. Whether it’s for a Kansas City residence, business, or church, you won’t feel safe until you know you have the best possible roof overhead.
For that kind of confidence, turn to Christian Brothers Roofing.
As Kansas City’s most highly certified roofing company, we know a thing or two about residential and commercial roofing. Your roof isn’t something to take risks with by hiring just anyone to work on it. That’s why we’ve created this guide to help you understand everything you need to know to get the best possible roof replacement in Kansas City.
Benefits of Replacing Your Residential or Commercial Roof
Have you been thinking about a roof replacement but aren’t sure if it’s worth it? There are many benefits to having a sturdy new roof that you could be missing out on the longer you ignore issues with your old one.
Home Roof Replacement
If it’s your house whose roof has seen better days, consider these benefits of a home roof replacement:
- Longer-lasting protection from the weather and pests for the whole house
- Improved energy efficiency for better interior comfort and lower energy bills
- Better curb appeal
- Increased home value
Commercial Roof Replacement
If you are a Kansas City business owner, a commercial roof replacement has its own unique benefits:
- Opportunity to address damage and safety issues to prevent future accidents, lawsuits and fines
- Less storm damage during inclement weather to keep you in operation
- Cost-saving energy efficiency
- Roof depreciation tax benefits
It’s easy to forget about roof replacement benefits when you’ve gone without them for so long. But as soon as you get your roof replacement, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner!
Every roof eventually suffers signs of wear and tear, but some signs indicate real roof damage that you don’t want to ignore. It’s important to know what’s normal and what could be a disaster waiting to happen.
To help you know when it’s time to take roof damage seriously and call the professionals for an inspection, here are some common signs that it’s time for a roof repair or replacement:
- Missing shingle granules. If you’re finding loose shingle granules and your roof looks like it has bald patches, your shingles are no longer deflecting UV rays or heat.
- Curled shingles. These look bad and let moisture infiltrate your roof.
- Cracked shingles. Cracks don’t look nice and let in water.
- Missing shingles. If cracked and curled shingles cause roof leaks, you know missing shingles are a problem! Those gaps also simply look ugly.
- Roof leaks. You might not be able to see the extent of the roof damage, but if you’re experiencing leaks inside (water stains or puddles), there’s definitely a problem.
- Mold or odors. You may not see a roof leak, but sometimes you can detect the mold or smell it creates.
- Storm damage. Whether from hail, high winds, fallen branches or heavy snow, any damage from severe weather should be looked at.
- Ice dams. Caused by uneven roof surface temperatures, these ridges of ice form when melting snow refreezes on your roof and holds moisture there. The ice can damage roofing materials, and the moisture can leak inside.
- Cosmetic issues. Even if your roof seems stable, moss, lichen, algae and other discoloration can make it look unappealing.
Depending on the extent of your roof damage, you may be able to forgo a whole replacement and instead get a roof repair.
Roof repair is a good option if:
- Damage is isolated to one spot.
- A relatively new roof suffers some partial storm damage.
- A patch will blend in seamlessly with the rest of the roof.
Are you seeing signs of roof damage on your Kansas City home, business, or church? You don’t have to decide whether to repair or replace by yourself. Christian Brothers Roofing is a HAAG certified roof inspector and has a representative available to inspect a roof for storm damage or the home buying process and then offer solutions.
We’re even happy to work with your insurance company if your roof has suffered storm damage.
Customizing Your Roof Design With Durable Roofing Materials
Every Kansas City building is unique, and so are their roofs. Driving around town, you can see a wide variety of roof styles on homes, churches, and businesses, such as:
Hip and valley
These styles not only create a certain aesthetic but also influence the materials used on them. Not every material is suitable for every roof style. For instance, the following materials work better on the often more intricate roofs of Kansas City houses and churches:
Asphalt Composite Shingles
Standing Seam Metal Roofing
Stone-coated Steel Roofing
TPO Flat Roofing
Most commercial roofs are flat or low slope compared to houses and benefit from materials such as:
- Built-up tar and gravel
- Metal roofing
- Modified bitumen roofing
- Thermoset (EPDM) roofing
- Garden “green” roofing
Other factors help you and your roofing company decide on the best material for your roof too. Together, you can consider factors like:
- Roof pitch
- HOA rules
- Climate and environment
- Level of maintenance
- Energy efficiency
- Your budget
- Your preferred aesthetic
- Trusted brands, like GAF asphalt shingles, GAF TPO, or DECRA Stone-Coated Steel
Keep in mind, you don’t have to pick just one material either! You can create a truly custom look by combining different roofing materials. For instance, a popular look uses stone-coated roofing with standing seam metal roofing. Another is asphalt composite with TPO for beauty and function.
Christian Brothers uses a variety of materials suitable for many kinds of roofs. With trusted brands like Decra and GAF, we can help you find top-performing roofing materials for any roof replacement.
Essential Parts of a Properly Functioning Roof System
You might think that a roof is a single thing, but in truth, it’s a whole system of parts that work together to protect a building. If any part of the roof system begins to fail, you’ll soon see problems. Understanding the various parts to a fully functioning roofing system will help you know what to expect during installation.
Home Roof System
- Lifetime Shingles
- Attic Ventilation
- Roof Deck Protection
- Starter Strip Shingles
- Leak Barrier
- Ridge Cap Shingles
Here are the main parts of a home roof system you’ll need to know:
- Drip Edge: An L-shaped metal strip installed along roof edges to let water drip off away from other parts of the house.
- Felt/Underlayment: A sheet of asphalt-saturated material used as a protective layer for the roof deck.
- Flashing: Pieces of metal used to seal intersections (valleys and joints) or projections (vents, chimneys) on a roof.
- Gutter System: The gutters and downspouts that safely direct water away from a house.
- Leak Barrier: A fiberglass device installed on a roof where it’s most susceptible to leaks.
- Ridge (or Ridge Cap): A layer of shingles installed on the roof ridge to prevent leaks.
- Sheathing (or Roof Deck): The plywood or oriented strand board surface to which roofing materials are applied.
- Slope (Pitch): The angle of the roof as measured by the rise in inches for every 12 inches of horizontal run.
- Ventilation: Vent openings that allow interior air to exit through the roof without letting moisture in.
Commercial Roof System
A commercial roof system differs from a home system.
- Built-up Roofing: Alternating layers of reinforcing fabric and bitumen with aggregate on top. Common on low-slope roofs.
- Membrane: A flexible waterproof covering that protects the roof.
- Thermoplastic (TPO): A material used in roofing that is resistant to UV light, punctures and many chemicals.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a New Roof?
Cost is always a concern for Kansas City residents considering a roof replacement.
Because every roof is different, the best way to know the true cost of roof replacement is to talk to your contractor. They can give you an accurate estimate based on factors like:
- The size of your house, business, or church
- Roof pitch
- Materials needed
- Removal of existing materials
- Ventilation repair
- Finishing touches like skylights or gutter systems
The cost of your roof installation also will include labor. At Christian Brothers Roofing, we follow a straightforward process that keeps the cost of roof replacement projects affordable for Kansas City residents:
- Materials are delivered to your home.
- We cover your driveway, garage and windows for protection.
- Old roofing materials are removed, and new OSB decking is put down.
- The underlayment is applied for protection.
- An ice and water shield is applied in valley sidewalls.
- Shingles are installed.
- The ridge cap is laid on the roofline.
- We clean up, and you get to admire your new roof!
Make Your Roof Replacement Affordable
A roof installation is a significant investment that can’t be put off when your old roof is defective. There are many ways to finance your reroof. One way is to take advantage of the affordable financing options at Christian Brothers Roofing to offset the cost of roof replacement, such as:
- GreenSky Home Improvement Financing plans to fit your specific needs.
- 0% financing with approved credit that allows you to finance as much of the project as you need to and pay over time.
We are also experienced at navigating the insurance claims process for you. When your roof suffers storm damage, ask us about our Storm Response Plan to get the most from your insurance.
Roof Maintenance Requirements to Protect Your Warranty
Good roof maintenance has many benefits for businesses, churches and houses. Maintenance helps your roof last longer and look nicer. Preventative maintenance helps you notice new issues sooner and resolve them before they become more costly.
Home Roof Maintenance
How should you take care of your roof? Here are some tips for home roof maintenance:
- Remove leaves and other debris every spring.
- Regularly check your attic for water stains or leaks.
- Check your roof for missing or damaged shingles and other parts.
- Spray moss with a commercial cleaner and brush off.
- Spray soffits and fascia with a garden hose to clean, and recaulk and repaint as needed.
- Clean the chimney with a chimney brush, and repair any damage.
- Inspect and repair vents and skylights.
Commercial or Church Roof Maintenance
Follow these tips for commercial roof maintenance:
- Use proper walkway pads to prevent damage from foot traffic.
- Only allow technicians to work up there if they know how to avoid roof damage.
- Keep drains unclogged to prevent ponding water.
- Train staff to empty roof grease traps properly.
Certified Commercial Maintenance and Warranty Programs
As a business owner, roof maintenance can be time consuming. You can save yourself a lot of time and money on costly repairs by hiring a professional commercial maintenance program. In Kansas City, Christian Brothers Roofing is your local GAF Certified Maintenance Professional. We can keep your commercial roof in top-notch condition and protect your roof warranty.
Speaking of warranties, good maintenance is the best way to preserve your roof warranty. Your warranty is meant to cover material and installation defects. You cannot make a claim against your warranty if issues arise from improper roof maintenance.
What to Look for in a Certified Roofer
Much of the success of your roof replacement depends on your roofing company. You want a roofer with knowledge and experience in the kind of roof you need, one who makes the roof replacement process stress free for you.
How do you know a Kansas City roofer fits the bill? Here are some things to look for or ask about as you consider your roofing company options:
- They are a certified roofer with licensing for your area.
- They are insured and bonded.
- They are local.
- They are communicative.
- They have a strong web presence and excellent customer ratings.
- They have a portfolio of work including projects like yours.
- They can provide references from past clients.
- They give you a detailed, itemized estimate in writing.
- They offer both material and workmanship warranties.
- They don’t rely on subcontractors, but employees they train and trust.
Don’t pick the first roofing company you talk to or the cheapest. You get what you pay for when it comes to roof replacement. Shop around and speak with multiple local roofers before choosing one who is undoubtedly qualified and has a great local reputation.
Why Choose Christian Brothers Roofing for Your Roof Replacement
Your roof replacement can be simple if you work with the right local roofing company.
We understand the frustrations of a bad roof and how intimidating the roof repair and replacement process can be. That’s why our team uses our 50-plus years of combined experience in residential and commercial roofing to ensure you get the roof you need and enjoy the project.
When you need certified roof replacement services, Christian Brothers Roofing is the top choice in Kansas City. We use only premium materials and work with precision and attention to detail. Our work is backed by a 10-year workmanship warranty. You can feel confident in the appearance and durability of your roof when it’s installed by Christian Brothers.
Our priority is your satisfaction in both your roof replacement and the overall experience. The Christian Brothers Roofing team is always available to discuss your questions and concerns. We strive to make our process and services as convenient for you as possible now and after we are done.
Here are just a few things that set us apart from other local roofing companies and help us guarantee you’ll love the service we provide:
- We give you and your property the kind of care and attention we’d give family.
- We work closely with you to explain your roofing options and help you select the best solutions for your roof.
- We don’t skimp on quality when it comes to materials and installation. Whether it’s a visible piece or not, you get premium materials and work on your whole roof.
- We hold multiple GAF awards and designations that other local roofing companies cannot claim.
- We nurture an ongoing relationship with you by remaining available for maintenance questions, filing your warranty for you and checking in on your “Roof-iversary.”
Ready to Begin Your Roof Replacement?
Your roof is a vital part of your business, church, or house. Don’t ignore it until you experience major issues. If your roof is old or showing signs of damage, it’s time to explore your roof replacement and repair options with Kansas City’s premier roofing company, Christian Brothers Roofing.
You’ll feel more confident in your property when you have a beautiful, long-lasting roof overhead thanks to the impeccable craftsmanship of Christian Brothers.
To get started on your roof replacement, request a free consultation today, and we’ll be more than happy to guide you through our simple process.